5.31.2006

CANDACE HAVENS ON CHARMED AND DANGEROUS


I seem to do my best work when I’m under stress. The idea for “Charmed & Dangerous” came about under extreme duress. I had a meeting the next day with an editor and one of my dearest friends told me I needed to pitch more than one book. I came up with the idea for “C&D” the night before that meeting, but it was an idea that had been rolling around in my head for a
long time.

I’ve been fascinated with witches in film and television for years and I especially liked Joss Whedon’s Willow on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” I always wondered what would happen if you could mix the power of Willow with the kick-butt talent of Buffy.

So I created Bronwyn, who in my head looks like Kate Beckinsale in “Underworld,” sans the leather. I wanted my witch to be one of the most powerful people on the planet and at the same time have a tough time with relationships. I wanted her to be very international and also love being at home in her West Texas town. I wanted her tough enough to blow someone up, and emotionally vulnerable when it came to love.

It’s funny when I look back on that book and see how influenced I was by things going on around me. The elderly gentleman, Mr. G., with Alzheimer’s, was my way of dealing with the recent death of my grandmother. Sheik Azir came from wanting to show a different type of Middle Eastern character than we had seen before. The Prime Minister, for me, is the perfect leader. He’s strong, yet compassionate and always on top of his game. And I shouldn’t say it, but Dr. Sam was influenced by the early days of “ER.” He’s kind of an amalgamation of George Clooney and Anthony Edwards, but he looks like Hugh Dancy.

And the idea to write the book in journal form came from me wanting to look back on this young witch’s life. Her voice was so strong in my head and I just wrote down what she had to say. She’s still telling me what to write. I’m working on the third book now, and the second book hits the shelves in September. I’m not really sure how Bronwyn, specifically came into my head, but I’m really happy she showed up to play. It’s been a blast.

Candace
Look for Charmed and Dangerous, in bookstores now, and Charmed and Ready, coming September 2006