2.04.2007

SEX, LIES, AND BONDAGE TAPE


The theme for the KINK anthology came from fellow author Sasha White. Sasha invited me to submit a joint erotic romance proposal with her, and she came up with the theme and title. I loved the idea, and it set all sorts of interesting ideas in motion.

When I think of “kink” and “kinky” sexuality, the associated words for me are: naughty, fun, liberating, romp, deviant and decadent. My imagination immediately went to an environment where this kind of starting point might be possible.

I have to confess that my novella, SEX, LIES, AND BONDAGE TAPE, was somewhat self-indulgent. Set in the rock world, it draws on my experiences of being a live music photographer for small-scale concerts, and that of having friends who are musicians and in the music promotion business. Live music performance can be incredibly energizing, and after-concert socializing can feed off that effervescent energy. I’ve had the privilege of being backstage after performances and of being able to enjoy the buzz that often transpires. I’ve often wanted to capture that on the page, and this seemed like it might be a good setting for my naughty, kinky story.

The novella opens with Kelly, my heroine, sneaking backstage to get an autograph for a friend, at the end of a rock concert. When she gets backstage she finds it isn’t as easy to locate the room she is looking for as she might have thought. Being backstage at a concert is kind of like being a generic hotel chain — there’s a similarity to what you might except to find, but nothing is quite where you expect it to be. I drew on that to set up the crazy shenanigans of my heroine finding herself in the wrong place, witnessing a secret she shouldn’t know about, and subsequently being faux-punished by Tommy, a sexy security guy who she takes an instant shine to.

With the energy of the rock-concert setting, coupled with the agenda of a kinky relationship unfolding into a deeper emotional attachment, I had all I needed. The characters and the story took off from there, resulting in a cat-and-mouse kiss chase back and forth across London. I had a lot of fun writing this novella!

Saskia