10.02.2006

Bev Katz Rosenbaum


My husband and I were both slightly obsessed with the Ted Williams brouhaha of a few years ago, Ted Williams being the famous baseball player who said in his will that he wanted to be cryonically preserved. (When he died, one kid wanted to honor his will, the other didn't, saying Dad wasn't in his right mind at the end...) At about the same time, I was trying to think of an idea for a young adult book that was fresh and different. Harlequin's Flipside line had just gone kaput, and I wanted to write short and snappy books. I had one preteen and one teen at home, and was loving what they were reading (but for the fact that much of it seemed, well, the same...that chick who titled her book 'Not just another dead mother story' sure knew what she was talking about!). At a brunch with friends, the Ted Williams thing came up, as did the fact that I was trying to come up with a fresh idea for a YA. At about the same time, my hubby and the two friends we were brunching with said, "Hey, why not do a YA with a cryonically preserved heroine?" And the rest, as they say, is history!



Bev